KDevelop for Mac

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 21:07:19 UTC 2016

On Saturday September 10 2016 22:02:53 Florian Senzel wrote:

Hi Florian,

I am the main author of the KF5 ports that hopefully will be added to MacPorts in a not-so-distant future. In a sense that is why I have a working KDevelop ;)

My build approach is one that installs everything as much as possible as it's installed on Linux, so that the software finds all required resources where it expects to find them. This is not trivial on OS X because of a Qt class (QStandardPaths) that provides the standard locations for all kinds of files, and those locations are very different by default than where KF5 stores everything. It is very likely that this is also the reason why your KDevelop doesn't load any projects: it simply cannot find the plugins that implement that functionality because those were installed in a location different from the one where Qt tells it to expect them.
My approach uses a patched Qt to avoid this problem. It also does not result in the kind of "app bundle" you might expect: while you will "get an icon" in a subfolder of the Applications folder, it is not possible say to drop that icon on a thumb drive and then run it on a different computer.

I'm a bit hesitant to invite you to install MacPorts and then use my ports because at the moment that requires quite a bit of setting things up to use an additional port repository. You're welcome to try, but at the moment I won't really have time to guide you through it. You'd want the MacStrop repository from my github account (github.com/RJVB).

But did you try to follow the official instructions? I seem to recall that there are instructions on kdevelop.org , and you could always ask on the kdevelop users mailing list. I didn't write what instructions there are, and if they're not clear enough their author(s) should know ;)
What you can also try before anything else is to find the kbuildsycoca5 utility and run it (you'll probably need to run it from a Terminal window).

René