Concurrent installations

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 08:55:32 UTC 2016

On Sunday October 02 2016 03:16:29 Marko Käning wrote:

Hi Marko,

>I was just wondering about concurrent installations of KF5 and KDE4…
>
>Didn’t we come to the conclusion that it is not a good idea do try to do that, as there might be overlap in the KF5 and KDE4 configuration files???

No, I think there was a consensus that it'd be nice if we could have concurrent installs of KDE4 and KF5 versions of applications, knowing full well that it indeed is not supported by KDE themselves.

Where required I use "compat" variants to make this possible (a sine-qua-none for me as the port dev, in fact), and raise conflict errors when they aren't used and a conflicting port is installed.

I think this is better than disallowing concurrent installation, because that could ultimately lead to making it impossible to install even the basic KDE4 ports (kdelibs4 et al). Which would then mean we'd have to figure out another way to provide the dependencies required for KDELibs4Support.

There is no overlap in KDE4 and KF5 user configuration files, and even most of the shared resources go into separate directories. The .desktop files are a different matter, but they are rarely a problem on OS X.