[KDE/Mac] plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 23 09:52:23 UTC 2016

On Monday, May 23, 2016 10:35:05 AM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday May 23 2016 07:59:14 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> >I'm against any patches to plasma-desktop to make it compile on other
> >platforms. There should not be any need to have anything from
> >plasma-desktop on non Plasma platforms. If there is indeed a KCM which
> >makes sense to have on other platforms then it was incorrectly positioned
> >and needs to be moved out
> I agree (but am not going to hold my breath). I actually think that even for
> Plasma desktops it would make sense to move the KCMs out of there, at least
> the ones that are not directly related to what makes the desktop or how it
> works.

So far we haven't seen any KCM which would not be desktop specific. The things
you listed are workarounds for apparently issues with the OSX QPT plugin.
Needs to be fixed there, not worked around.

> >work a valid use case. In my opinion KDE applications should follow the
> >native style on OSX.
>
> I really cannot get my head around that kind of attitude from people working
> on a "Freedesktop" environment. Users of OS X (or MS Windows) are
> apparently not entitled to gaining a little more freedom where and when
> they can? That's really not what I'd expect from members of what's supposed
> to be a community, and doesn't at all motivate me to contribute more on
> other aspects.

I only expressed my opinion. Of course I'm not taking away any freedoms. Of
course you can according to the license use our software on OSX. Whether we
consider that as a good idea is from the freedom perspective irrelevant. So
please don't say we restrict freedom - that's clearly not the case.

Cheers
Martin