[KDE/Mac] plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 23 05:59:14 UTC 2016

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 8:18:15 PM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've talked about doing something about the various components in
> plasma-desktop that would make sense outside of full-blown Plasma sessions.
>
> I've been keeping that in mind, and the other day my Linux install (which I
> maintain in a parallel prefix using the same packaging scripts as I use on
> OS X) made me realise that plasma-desktop also provides components that
> would be useful for those providing KF5 as an optional "suite" for use with
> a completely different desktop environment that still runs under X11.
>
> Either way, I've come up with a couple of patches (the
> patch-disable-unwanted* at
> https://github.com/RJVB/macstrop/tree/master/kf5/kf5-plasma-desktop/files)
> which represent an initial approach at evaluating what builds and what
> makes sense on a ~Plasma desktop, X11 or OS X (or MS Windows, presumably).

I'm against any patches to plasma-desktop to make it compile on other
platforms. There should not be any need to have anything from plasma-desktop
on non Plasma platforms. If there is indeed a KCM which makes sense to have on
other platforms then it was incorrectly positioned and needs to be moved out
of plasma-desktop. Applications should not depend on the desktop. If an
application cannot be configured without a KCM provided by plasma-desktop than
we have a clear bug and that needs fixing.

Please note that I don't consider shipping KCMs to make your own QPT plugin
work a valid use case. In my opinion KDE applications should follow the native
style on OSX. With that the need for KCMs from plasma-desktop should be non-
existent.

Cheers
Martin