[KDE/Mac] kde-mac Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

Jonathan Schultz jonathan at imatix.com
Sun Mar 27 23:57:17 UTC 2016

> The port info command is comparable to apt show.

Sorry I didn't mean to give the impression that I didn't understand
anything, just that 'port' is sufficiently unfamiliar that I don't
follow perfectly. I guess I need to check out the Macport documentation
in a bit more detail.

> Did you check out my full repo and add the working copy as an
> additional source in etc/macports/sources.conf, *above* the default
> entry?

These are the only non-comment lines in
/opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf:

> file:///opt/local/site-ports
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]

> My repo does have lots of customised ports that override the ones
> from the mainstream tree. You'd have to remove those from the
> working copy of my repo, or set up a sort of shadow tree that has
> symlinks to just those port directories you want, plus the associated
> entries in the _resources directory.

I see what you mean, but am not clear which port directories are the
ones I want.

If I understand correctly the whole purpose of doing this is to build
qt/kde for x11 in order to test whether this affects the ability of
okular/poppler to render PDFs. Perhaps there are other things I could
be trying. Would it be worth testing under El Capitan for example? I
just prefer Mavericks because it does a better job of handling
non-standard screen dimensions but it's no big deal to try a different
version of OSX.

Another thing I could do is revert to a virgin Mavericks installation
(one advantage of virtual machines is how easy this is) and go through
the whole procedure once again being more careful to keep track of
everything.

Many thanks for your help and patience in any case.

Cheers,
Jonathan