[KDE/Mac] kde-mac Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:23:58 UTC 2016

On Wednesday March 23 2016 08:32:31 Jonathan Schultz wrote:

> In fact it was when my okular/KF5 build failed to display PDFs that I
> went back to square one to see if a "standard" Macports install of

So both Okular4 and Okular5 have the same issue? Do you know what backend is used - poppler?

Maybe I should make some time to make a preliminary port for Okular5, and check for myself...

> My own interest is in producing software bother leverages okular's
> existing features (especially its ability to display a wide variety of
> file formats) and is portable at least to Linux/Windows/OSX. I do want

You are aware that OS X comes with a Preview application that also supports a wide variety of file formats?

> to target it at regular users so want it to be as familiar as possible
> to them in its UI. But that consideration is secondary to producing
> something that works. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to developing
> for Mac so any pointers would be most welcome.

In first instance you'll be able to abstract much if not most of the Mac specifics when you're using Qt and KDE. The rendering glitch you're seeing is annoying, but the main hurdles will be ensuring the application builds, has a GUI as you intended and (ultimately) also builds and works when bundled as a standalone app bundle. Qt's native macintosh theme and style doesn't always play very well with KDE applications (KDE4 or KF5) but from what I understand that is something you will be able to see in your OS X VM.

BTW, if you manage to follow my instructions in the other message and install Qt5 and KF5 from my macstrop repo, you may have another way to test your Okular issue. My qt5-kde port provides a subport for the xcb QPA (qt5-kde-x11), meaning you can run at least some Qt5-based apps on a remote X display. There's no guarantee it'll work for Okular though - it most likely won't if that would require remote GLX.