[KDE/Mac] Creating a OS X packaging receipt for DMGs?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:36:59 UTC 2016

On Tuesday March 08 2016 11:17:53 Kevin Funk wrote:

> I just want to ship libclang + deps. Which, for instance, on my system is just
> around 50M ("unoptimized", from distro packages).
> Note: I don't want to ship the Clang toolchain, I just want to ship what's
> required for the KDevelop parser. Huge difference.

Indeed, noted.

The question stands what is needed to build that parser. I'm guessing KDevelop isn't the only tool that can leverage libclang without requiring a full LLVM+CLang install.

> So, you agree it's easier to just ship our own version...?

Easier I don't know, for the end user who grabs the installer image probably yes (though size aside s/he probably won't care which libclang is being used).

> Note that compared to other IDEs, KDevelop still has a *super* low image size.
> KDevelop is around ~ 300 MB unpacked on Windows, including all deps such as
> Qt5/KF5/Clang/LLVM. Compare that to other IDEs.

If you don't have to embed a full LLVM+Clang toolchain, then yes.

> > build time)? Wouldn't it be possible somehow to point the parser to an
> > existing clang install, like the one provided in Xcode?
>
> Just libclang is needed. Not a full LLVM+Clang install.

Not even for building the parser?
Being able to use an existing, external clang install would still be preferable in my opinion but I have no idea if that would even have been possible.

> Sorry, I'm not really familiar with MacPorts.

Well, you just asked about dmg creation, and a good number of the kde-mac people use KDE through MacPorts :P