[KDE/Mac] first krita 3.0 pre-alpha app bundle

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Jan 16 09:51:27 UTC 2016

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Saturday January 16 2016 09:32:04 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
>> Double-clicking, even from the opened dmg worked for me... But if you can find something that will fix running Krita by simply editing the Info.plist, I would be so happy! Since, evidently,the executable itself works fine, so I wouldn't have to figure out how to build Qt on El Capitan for an older SDK.
>
> What is your Mavericks (10.9) set-up, do you have Xcode installed with the 10.11 SDK? Marko does, and even though it seems unlikely it wouldn't take me by complete surprise if that changes behaviour somehow, explaining the error he sees.

I only have the 10.9 SDK on the macmini; on the macbook pro, I did add the 10.7 and 10.9 sdk's but didn't manage to get Qt built against those.

> In general it's a safer approach to use the oldest system you want to support for building, either to provide (at least 2) separate packages or by using the SDK for the latest version.
> Either way, there is the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET env. variable which allows to control what your build targets, as well as the -mmacosx-version-min=version compiler option.

The weird thing is, with the same source code, the application built on the macmini with 10.9 doesn't have a working opengl canvas anywhere.

>> What model of Mac do you have, and what GPU?
>
> No AVX, looks like he's running on an i5 though I seem to recall he also has access to an older Core2Duo.
> That might in fact also explain the error he's seeing: if 10.11 doesn't run on that model it may be that the system simply makes the shortcut assumption that any application built for 10.11 also won't run there.

Ah, that could explain it then -- I know that Apple really wants me to upgrade the macmini to El Capitan, but heck, it's already slow as molasses.

>> That's normal: it's what I tried to explain earlier. We use QPainter to draw
>> on a QOpenGLWidget, and on OSX that works only if your application limits
>> itself to OpenGL 2 or 2 ES. We need some features from 3, so have to
>> disable the Compatibility Profile and enable the Core Profile, which breaks
>> QPainter.
>
> I would say it's "to be expected", not exactly normal ;)

Well... It is a pre-alpha for a very good reason.

> Those features requiring OpenGL 3, how "core" are they? It seems you have a compromise to make between central functionality (like a visible mouse pointer), and feature-set.  Possibly through a setting or toggle somewhere, because I presume that the profiles can be dis- and enabled at runtime?

You can turn off opengl altogether in the settings dialog, at the loss of functionality. But it's simply something that will have to be implemented before we make a final release.

> BTW, does this dilemma exist on all current OS X versions, even the one(s) that don't have the Metal API/SDK/whatever?

I'm not sure.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org