[KDE/Mac] new year's resolution: opening files "the Mac way" (TM)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 20:36:26 UTC 2016

On Friday January 01 2016 20:24:59 Christoph Cullmann wrote:

>I think the Qt support is already ok enough, the application just needs to handle it.
>That should just be a few lines of code, not sure if any more wrapping will make this less work.

You're probably right. Would be nice though if there were some kind of unified interface that presents standard file open requests to the application, regardless of whether they came in over DBus, LaunchServices or whatever mechanism might exist on other platforms.

>I think the one with the QString is atm the thing Kate can easily support.

OK. The one returning a QUrl is probably the same, for local files at least.

>Then that is all fine, as long as Qt handles all right with the QFileOpenEvent each app
>that wants to have support just needs 5 lines of handling this event.
>
>Guess I should add the handling to Kate/KWrite ;=)

Keep me posted if you get around to it, or if not :) You'd also have to figure out what additional information to add to the Info.plist, about the filetypes the applications can handle. If Kate handles RTF too you can just copy that from TextEdit, I guess.