[KDE/Mac] new year's resolution: opening files "the Mac way" (TM)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 18:04:01 UTC 2016

On Friday January 01 2016 17:47:17 Christoph Cullmann wrote:

Hi,

Apparently you already looked into this?

> I can tell you that this needs to be done at the application level, not at kpart level.

Can you explain why? Does that mean it won't be possible to encapsulate the functionality in a framework?

> E.g. in Kate, you would need to handle QFileOpenEvent just like a dbus request to open
> a new file (atm I guess only the variant that has some url is feasible, the other variant
> won't work with the current interfaces to the editor part we have).

The QString QFE::file() variant, or the one that returns an opened QFile? I'm not sure that one would even be relevant (or even in what circumstances it has to be used).

> Same for e.g. KWrite, just open a new windows with the file, like file open.

If memory serves me well, the old MacOS used to handle file open requests like that: it would more or less send the same even to the application that would be sent when using the File/Open menu, and somehow shortcut the file selection dialog.
At least, that's what the guy I shared my office with claimed, but he was usually right about this kind of thing :)