[KDE/Mac] QStandardPaths on OSX and Windows (Re: An interesting read, perhaps...)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 23 09:42:27 UTC 2016

> See, that's an added benefit of my ports and the accompanying Qt5-KDE build. It has a QSP patch that allows the class to be switched into an XDG-compliant mode that also makes it possible to run the (unit) tests. I had not yet considered to make the testing mode bit unconditional.
> There's a long-standing Qt bug report created after our initial attempt to get a QSP patch into Qt. The consensus we reached at the time was that there is a valid use case for non-native (e.g. XDG-compliant) QSP locations, and that we'd submit another patch ("WIP" style) after we'd been able to test it in the wild. (At the time the whole discussion was theoretical.) I'm also in on-and-off contact with David (CC'ing) about the implementation.

I am still very much against a QSP patch that we don't apply upstream, or a #define hack.

The best solution I can see until now is adding support (in QSP) for env vars ($QT_, not $XDG_)
and/or for defining paths in qt.conf (as the kde-windows guys started), both of which
would help OSX and Windows.

The env vars would solve it for the CI, while I assume that qt.conf is a better solution
for end users (at least on Windows). On Mac I still don't get how it's supposed to magically
work, if env vars are not the way and the install prefix is configurable.

I can't easily do these myself (wrong platform), but maybe in Randa we can.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5