[KDE/Mac] [OS X] adding a link module to all KF5 targets

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:47:49 UTC 2015

On Tuesday September 29 2015 09:45:02 David Faure wrote:

>> > One thing I like about this, as a side effect, is that my unittests which need to
>> > have control over *global* QSP paths (which I do by setting XDG_DATA_DIRS
>> > but I have to skip such unittests on OSX/Windows) could then be enabled on OSX.

>I would just like to take one step back and make sure this is going into a direction that makes sense.
>Let's assume you can toggle QSP behavior to XDG somehow (per call or globally or whatever).
>What then? Macports users will have to set XDG_* env vars for the apps to work? I thought
>setting env vars wasn't an option?

Just so everyone has a clear view of what locations we're talking about:

>>> stock QStandardPaths from Qt 5.5.0 on OS X (from qtdiag from my port:qt5-kde; these only have a fix applied to the FontsLocation)
Standard paths [*...* denote writable entry]:
  DesktopLocation: "Desktop" */Users/bertin/Desktop*
  DocumentsLocation: "Documents" */Users/bertin/Documents*
  FontsLocation: "Fonts" */Users/bertin/Library/Fonts* /Library/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts
  ApplicationsLocation: "Applications" */Applications*
  MusicLocation: "Music" */Users/bertin/Music*
  MoviesLocation: "Movies" */Users/bertin/Movies*
  PicturesLocation: "Pictures" */Users/bertin/Pictures*
  TempLocation: "TemporaryItems" */var/folders/j1/blabla/T*
  HomeLocation: "Home" */Users/bertin*
  AppLocalDataLocation: "Application Support" */Users/bertin/Library/Application Support/QtProject/qtdiag* /Library/Application Support/QtProject/qtdiag /opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/
  CacheLocation: "Caches" */Users/bertin/Library/Caches/QtProject/qtdiag* /Library/Caches/QtProject/qtdiag
  GenericDataLocation: "Application Support" */Users/bertin/Library/Application Support* /Library/Application Support
  RuntimeLocation: "Application Support" */Users/bertin/Library/Application Support*
  ConfigLocation: "Preferences" */Users/bertin/Library/Preferences*
  DownloadLocation: "Desktop" */Users/bertin/Downloads*
  GenericCacheLocation: "Caches" */Users/bertin/Library/Caches* /Library/Caches
  GenericConfigLocation: "Preferences" */Users/bertin/Library/Preferences*
  AppDataLocation: "Application Support" */Users/bertin/Library/Application Support/QtProject/qtdiag* /Library/Application Support/QtProject/qtdiag /opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/
  AppConfigLocation: "Preferences" */Users/bertin/Library/Preferences/QtProject/qtdiag*
>>> stock QStandardPaths from Qt 5.5.0 on Linux; also note the xdg-kde-plasma directories that don't show up in the OS X locations:
Standard paths [*...* denote writable entry]:
  DesktopLocation: "Desktop" */home/bertin/Desktop*
  DocumentsLocation: "Documents" */home/bertin/Documents*
  FontsLocation: "Fonts" */home/bertin/.fonts*
  ApplicationsLocation: "Applications" */home/bertin/.local/share/applications* /usr/share/applications /usr/share/kde-plasma/applications /usr/local/share/applications
  MusicLocation: "Music" */home/bertin/Music*
  MoviesLocation: "Movies" */home/bertin/Videos*
  PicturesLocation: "Pictures" */home/bertin/Pictures*
  TempLocation: "Temporary Directory" */tmp*
  HomeLocation: "Home" */home/bertin*
  AppLocalDataLocation: "Application Data" */home/bertin/.local/share/QtProject/qtdiag* /usr/share/QtProject/qtdiag /usr/share/kde-plasma/QtProject/qtdiag /usr/local/share/QtProject/qtdiag
  CacheLocation: "Cache" */home/bertin/.cache/QtProject/qtdiag*
  GenericDataLocation: "Shared Data" */home/bertin/.local/share* /usr/share /usr/share/kde-plasma /usr/local/share
  RuntimeLocation: "Runtime" */run/user/UID*
  ConfigLocation: "Configuration" */home/bertin/.config* /etc/xdg/xdg-kde-plasma /usr/share/upstart/xdg /etc/xdg
  DownloadLocation: "Download" */home/bertin/Desktop/Downloads*
  GenericCacheLocation: "Shared Cache" */home/bertin/.cache*
  GenericConfigLocation: "Shared Configuration" */home/bertin/.config* /etc/xdg/xdg-kde-plasma /usr/share/upstart/xdg /etc/xdg
  AppDataLocation: "Application Data" */home/bertin/.local/share/QtProject/qtdiag* /usr/share/QtProject/qtdiag /usr/share/kde-plasma/QtProject/qtdiag /usr/local/share/QtProject/qtdiag
  AppConfigLocation: "Application Configuration" */home/bertin/.config/QtProject/qtdiag* /etc/xdg/xdg-kde-plasma/QtProject/qtdiag /usr/share/upstart/xdg/QtProject/qtdiag /etc/xdg/QtProject/qtdiag

On a related note: those Linux locations come from qtdiag of a Qt installed into /opt/local, actually a Linux build of the aforementioned qt5-kde port (MacPorts package).
I'm surprised that I'm not seeing /opt/local show up anywhere in there. What would be the consensus to modify in these locations, for a Qt installed into /opt/local where KF5 could also be installed? Replace everything pointing to /usr/local with /opt/local, or also replace /usr with /opt/local?