[KDE/Mac] Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Wed Oct 21 20:48:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

> On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 22:12:00 Christoph Cullmann wrote:

>> And the big benefit: One can install my alpha crashy something quality Kate
>
>> bundle with its Qt something version and some imaginary Krita bundle that
>
>> is installed in parallel will NOT be borked!
>

> are you more or less arguing against all the benefits of shared libraries as
> found in Linux distributions ? ;-)
if you are not part of the distro packages or some build service that creates pacakges
for ALL distros * versions you want to support: yes.

I package our company's software now since close to 10 years for Windows/Linux and
no, never ever there was any chance to use system libraries beside the most basic ones,
and even there, to support old systems, you will need to ship some local copies (starting
from libstdc++ to libxcb). To use something like the Qt libraries shipped with the distros is
just out of question, if you try to target stuff >= Red Hat 5 with ONE package.

On Windows you anyway are used to ship everything, starting the with Visual Studio runtime libs.
Which btw. gives you nice freedom, like using more or less the latest Visual Studio and still
deploy on relatively old Windows Versions, like XP (ok, that time is now over even there with current
visual studios, but still).

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com