[KDE/Mac] Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Tue Oct 20 14:49:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

after some patching, we got around to a state that allows to e.g. use KWrite
on Windows or Mac with stock frameworks master and stock Qt 5.5, without any additional
patches and no stuff like dbus running. (as standalone installer/bundles)

To have KIO working, one needs to teach it how to find the .protocol files, like
ATM done by some patches to Qt by the Windows folks (or we avoid that by embedding that
info in the slaves in the plugin meta data), for icons you need to set the icon lookup
path + theme hardcoded.

My question: What is the actual goal for frameworks on non-linux like (or non-xdg conform)
or whatever called operating systems?

My personal current goal is to have them in at state that allows:

1) use stock Qt as base
2) have frameworks in a state that allows them to be used in application standalone installer/app-bundle without global stuff required
3) avoid the use of non-existing stuff like the dbus session bus

For the "make it easy to bundle" I patched some frameworks to support stuff inside qt resources.
(xmlgui for ui files, kconfig for global default config files)

That works only, if the applications bundle their ui files in resources, too, otherwise, they just won't be found
and the applications break, unless you patch again Qt to look in non-standard locations.

For the "non-dbus" I made some stuff bit more "failure safe", if no bus is around, on cost of features.
(like for kio, no instant segfault anymore, just no working dbus related stuff)

Here the applications need a bit care, too, like not exit, if they can't register on the bus.

Is that just my personal goal or is that what we want to have as frameworks goal on such operating systems?
Would that make the stuff more usable for Krita for example?

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com