[KDE/Mac] Frameworks Deployment Issues

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Sun Oct 11 22:27:18 UTC 2015

> On Sunday October 11 2015 23:48:47 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>> I will work in the next months on the current frameworks deployment issues.
>
>> With that patch and with KTextEditor/Kate already patched to pack their ui files
>> in resources
>> at least the menu/toolbar creation works like a charm with just the libraries
>> around.
>
> I presume you mean the Contents/Resources directory in individual app bundles?
> That should work for app-specific ui files, maybe even for ui files belonging
> to libraries (if those exist) when built as frameworks, but it'll be tougher
> for applications that aren't built as bundles.
>
> Anyway, whatever you do, please comment your changes inline so that it's easy to
> come back to things that may have to be switched back to XDG-style deployment
> locations.
Hi,

my patch will still allow all things we do today, it will just in addition allow to put
things in resources and default to do so, which makes sense on any deployment style.

Even for the normal XDG way, it just makes sense to bundle the ui stuff in the matching libraries,
there is no benefit by installing them as extra files, the user is still able to overwrite
them with local copies (like the configure toolbar dialog will create).

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com