[KDE/Mac] org.kde.KLauncher service not found [help]

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 23:23:47 UTC 2015

Hi René and David,

On 02/10/2015, at 6:07 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday October 01 2015 20:21:59 David Faure wrote:
>
> Something was nagging at the back of my mind, so please allow me to come back to this:
>
>> [klauncher is] supposed to be started at the very beginning, by kdeinit (at least on Linux).
>
> Who takes care of that, and how does it find kdeinit - supposed to be in the path?

kdeinit4 is an Apple-style application bundle in OS X, installed by MacPorts in
/Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/kdeinit2.app, so it is not on any path IIRC.

> And how is this supposed to happen on OS X? Was I just lucky that somehow it always worked?
> Ian; you're the author of the workaround-kdeinit4-crash patch, no? Any thoughts?

A long time ago (from 2011 thru 2013), I used to have kdeinit4 set up as an app
that is started via OS X System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items.  My
idea was start it automatically at login time, analogously to how it is started by
the script that starts a KDE (Plasma?) desktop on Linux.

I gave up doing that when I was working on the patch you mention, because
I was building and installing other versions of kdeinit4 in my own area.  It has
not seemed to make any difference that I no longer set kdeinit4 running at
login time.  And AFAIK no other MacPorts user starts it that way either.

Also, I only ever got KCrash to work in fork mode on OS X.  I never did get it to
invoke Dr Konqi as a separate process, via a message to kdeinit4 on a UNIX
socket.  I finally gave up trying, due to lack of interest and help from KDE core
developers, who insisted that KDE 4 is passé and that I should be working on
Frameworks/KF5.

As you know, Renė, I spent a few weeks trying to build Frameworks and Qt5 on
my system and finally gave up.

My objective was to continue investigating the kdeinit/klauncher/kded/kio
complex in its Frameworks version and maybe get some help from
Frameworks core developers in adapting it properly to Apple OS X.

> (IIRC, that patch works around the fact that OS X disallows exec after fork.)

No, --nofork was already a feature of kdeinit4 on Apple OS X.  My patch was
to prevent KCrash from crashing itself and re-entering itself too many times.

KCrash was prematurely clearing file descriptors that are used by Apple libs.

Cheers, Ian W.