[KDE/Mac] [mostly OS X]: KDEHOME vs. ~/.kde best practices, *rc files and related questions

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Nov 8 13:19:05 UTC 2015

On Sunday 08 November 2015 13:11:56 René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> - Both on OS X (MacPorts) and in my Linux packaging, I'd want my ~/.kf5 (to give it a name) to be independent from KDE4's ~/.kde

It will be for sure, since KF5 doesn't use ~/.kde at all anymore.
It uses what QSP returns for GenericConfigLocation.

So on Linux it uses ~/.config (or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME if set)
and ~/.local (or $XDG_DATA_HOME if set).

> An auto-import feature from ~/.kde would be nice, but of secondary importance.

That's exactly what the code in kdelibs4migration does (in apps that call it).

> Does KF5 (or do KF5 applications) still use *rc config files

Yes. KConfig's format hasn't changed, only the location of the files.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5