[KDE/Mac] Multiplatform frameworks

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 02:30:56 UTC 2015

Hi Jeremy,

My apologies for going back to basics.  Some things you said earlier made me
think we are not on the same page, but I now see that we are.

On 02/03/2015, at 3:15 AM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> The example code you've given does already use prefixes. I'll explain below.
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
</snip>
> > Note that the code could have said '(QStandardPaths::DataLocation, "arenas", '.  So no
> > way for a "kf5" suffix to get in there.  Maybe it comes from $XDG_DATA_DIRS (?).
>
> Correct, DataLocation (newly clarified as AppDataLocation) is where the application stores it's own files, so it's Application Support/<appname> In this case granatier (or whatever QApplication::setApplicationName is given in main.cpp.
>
> > Also, there would be several shared data folders in GenericDataLocation, alongside
> > the DataLocation folders for the apps.  See [2] for details.  These would fit in quite well
> > with standard paths on Apple OS X set to:
> >
> >      "~/Library/Application Support/<subdir>", "/Library/Application Support/<subdir>"
> >
> > always supposing we really *want* to be good Apple citizens.  They would not look at
> > all good if they were directly under "Application Support/", because they are not apps.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here, are you referring to kf5 frameworks, kdoctools uses kf5/kdoctools/ prefix beneath this to keep it's data separated from others, Other kf5 frameworks do the same. If they didn't we would have a ton of data in $prefix/share on linux which is also discouraged.

I am talking about regular apps, not Frameworks, but I am glad that Frameworks'
doctools is inserting the "kf5/" subdir.

If I were to build Granatier in KF5/Qt5, using standard QSP paths on OS X, I would
expect to find "/Library/Application Support/granatier/" containing all the data specific
to Granatier (arenas, etc.).  But also I expect "/Library/Application Support/kxmlgui5/",
containing "granatierui.rc" (?), and ""/Library/Application Support/applications/" containing
"granatier.desktop" (?).  Maybe there would be other subdirs, see [2], depending on
whether Granatier shares other data with other apps or libraries or whether it uses shared
resources such as "/Library/Application Support/icons" (?) (which I assume it does).

If I have understood [2] correctly (BTW there seems to be a misprint under KXMLGUI5DIR),
it seems to me that "kxmlgui5/", "applications/" and "icons/", *whatever* they contain, would
be out-of-place [3] in "/Library/Application Support/" because they are not apps.  And even
the application subdirs (granatier, etc.) run the risk of name-clashes with other software
from sources other than KDE.  That is why I proposed a special subdir if we go the Apple
and (unaltered) QStandardPaths 5.4 way.

Cheers, Ian W.

> [1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdegames/granatier/repository/revisions/master/entry/src/game.cpp
> [2] http://api.kde.org/ecm/kde-module/KDEInstallDirs.html

[3] "Out-of-place" ... "like feathers on a dog"… :-)