[KDE/Mac] [Interest] QStandardPaths::writableLocation(QStandardPaths::AppDataLocation) on OSX

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Wed Jan 28 21:32:33 UTC 2015

Hi René,
Hi David,

On 28 Jan 2015, at 20:41 , René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday January 27 2015 18:39:27 Harri Pasanen wrote:
>> returns "/Library/Application Support/appname"
>> which is not user writable.
>>
>> Seems like a bug, but perhaps this is intentional?
>
> According to qtdiag from my MacPorts qt5-mac-devel (5.4.0) install, with Jeremy Whiting's QSP patch:

Yes:
…
>  FontsLocation: "Fonts" */System/Library/Fonts*
>  ApplicationsLocation: "Applications" */Applications*
…
BOTH should NOT be writeable [1]! >>>>>>>>  This looks like a bug and needs fixing.  <<<<<<<<<

I do see the same in a vanilla-MacPorts Qt 5.3.2 (qt5-mac).

>  DataLocation: "Application Support" */Users/bertin/Library/Application Support/QtProject/qtdiag* /Library/Application

According to [1] the path AppDataLocation is equal to DataLocation.
The first path is always the writeable one, which is in correspondence with what you show above.
I wonder what the original 5.4.0 code produces… Though, I somehow can’t imagine that Harri had a QSP-patched Qt 5.4.0!

I guess someone should pick up this discussion on Qt-interest, no?

Regards,
Marko

[1] http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-5.4/qstandardpaths.html