[KDE/Mac] phonon vs qtmultimedia

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:01:43 UTC 2015

On Friday January 16 2015 07:23:26 Ian Wadham wrote:

>     -DCMAKE_BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH=ON
>     -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH=/kdedev/kde4m/kde4/lib
>
> I think those options came from MacPorts' portgroup file for cmake.  It is
> applied to every package in MacPorts that requires CMake.

Some will, others (KDE related) will come from the respective (KDE) port group.

> I do not know why Apple OS X requires full paths for libraries, but I imagine

I think you can make do without a path at all, just the filename (as long as the library is in one of the default locations?)

> P.S. Phonon would be a huge overkill if all it is doing is playing notification sounds.
>         We certainly found that it was an overkill for KDE games --- and slow to respond
>         when tenths of a second matter.  "Using cannons to shoot sparrows" comes to
>         mind (a German saying, I believe).

Heh, in the Netherlands we use cannons to shoot mosquitoes. And then they say that people from Marseille exaggerate :))

ANyway, yes, Phonon is slow. On my netbook I routinely get notification sounds not tenths of but full seconds after an event (like a switching to or from battery power).