[KDE/Mac] phonon vs qtmultimedia

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 11:21:24 UTC 2015

On 15/01/2015, at 9:13 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday January 15 2015 12:24:45 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Re 1), I could not build anything with Phonon and KDE 4, using kdesrc-build.
>> Phonon kept building library files that were invalid on Apple OS X (i.e. they
>> contained relative paths).  So I eventually fell back to using Phonon from
>
> Relative paths would work, but only if they are relative to the application install path.
> Jeremy, you who tried phonon/git, are the libraries still created that way or has Harald
> addressed this issue on OS X?

No issue re relative paths, I think.  MacPorts can build Phonon OK, with absolute paths.
I am not sure whether MacPorts has KDE's Phonon or Qt's, but I think it is KDE's.  I put
my own problems with building Phonon down to inexperience and moved on.  IIRC
Harald fixed the issue in Phonon re case-insensitive file systems.

> BTW, are you on kde-mac or should we keep including you in addition to the ML address?

What, has Jeremy not been on the KDE-Mac list all this time?

I have been wondering why he has not been responding to various suggestions I have
made re getting a prefix into QStandardPaths at runtime.

>> VLC works fine on Apple OS X as a media player (front and backend).  I use
>> it all the time, but I did not get it from MacPorts.
>
> So then maybe we should get phonon-backend-vlc to build on OS X? I'm guessing something
> else isn't exactly right though, as gstreamer does work itself too (but phonon-backend-gstreamer
> doesn't "export" that to phonon, from what I can tell).

Cheers, Ian W.