[KDE/Mac] QStandardPaths possible solution

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 20:04:41 UTC 2015

David,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:40 PM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 11 January 2015 13:37:38 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > configure -prefix /opt/local/libexec/qt5 \
>
> Well, this would break the suggested QStandardPaths patch quite a lot,
> that patch falls back to the Qt install prefix. Configured this way, it
> would
> never find /opt/local as the place where apps put stuff.
>
> That's why Tor Arne is right: it makes little sense to use the Qt install
> prefix as the presumed root for where other libs and apps install their
> files.
> These are two independent things.

Yeah, I see his point. I think there are four ways forward. I'm not sure
which would be most likely, but here they are.

1. The patch has a configurable default rather than using QLibraryInfo. I'm
not sure how to add such a configurable value yet, but can figure it out if
we go this way.
2. The patch has no default but only supports adding XDG_DATA_DIRS and
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to the already existing paths.
3. The macports of qt5 patch qstandardpaths_mac.mm|cpp to support whatever
prefix they use as default with the XDG_*_DIRS support.
4. All applications/libraries that use QStandardPaths change to use some
"platform independent" way of finding their data files such as qrc resource
files or installing files into each app bundle itself or something.

Which of these do you see as most likely to get accepted/approval from Tor
Arne and co?

BR,
Jeremy