[KDE/Mac] QStandardPaths possible solution

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 12:06:00 UTC 2015

Hi René,

On 11/01/2015, at 8:54 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Sunday January 11 2015 16:11:21 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Well, there are a few options.  Pick one… :-)
>
> I don't see the option to make a MacPorts specific patch that partly undoes the stuff we've been working on ... in big part to allow future MacPorts ports to function properly.
> That's the point that annoys me: if I hadn't been so braindead I'd never have advised to use a configure-time option that derives the xdg-compliant search path from "the" prefix knowing that I was moving MacPorts to a Qt prefix of ${prefix}/libexec/qt${version} , and Jeremy might have submitted a patch with a hard-coded path.

Did you ever find out how Qt 4 and Qt 5 can be installed simultaneously
in Linux?  People say it is not difficult.  But how exactly is it done? I don't
have any idea, I am sorry to say.

You could apply brute force to your current situation by
    launchctl setenv XDG_DATA_DIRS /opt/local/share
    launchctl setenv XDG_CONFIG_DIRS /opt/local/config
or whatever, but that would be kind-of cheating, I suppose.

Sorry, I am too tired to think of anything else --- other than a small
re-think of the patch as it is on Gerrit, along one of the 3 lines I have
already suggested.  Any of those would make the XDG locations
independent of where Qt 5 is installed, as I believe they should be.

Good night, Ian W.