[KDE/Mac] QStandardPaths possible solution

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jan 8 08:19:39 UTC 2015

On Thursday 08 January 2015 16:18:39 Ian Wadham wrote:
> 2) Looking at the documentation on QStandardPaths at
> http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-5.4/qstandardpaths.html,
> a notional prefix called <APPROOT> is used to describe the
> typical Blackberry and Android paths.  We could do something
> similar for XDG-like paths on Apple OS X.  Blackberry does not
> use "APPROOT" in its code, but Android uses something like it.
> It looks to see if "APPROOT_FILES" is defined, and if so, it uses
> that path.  On Windows and OS X, the notional prefix <APPDIR>
> appears, but it is defined as the directory where the *executable*
> resides, so no use to us.
>
> I suggest our patch could look for APPROOT_XDG.

That sounds really confusing. APPROOT in the QSP documentation means "the
sandbox for the application".
You could use that for app bundles, but using that for e.g. /opt/local is very
confusing because this is not a sandbox! Files in there are shared with other
apps.
I recommend against using APPROOT here in your case, which is much more
similar to the XDG case than to sandboxed apps.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5