[KDE/Mac] Getting started on Mac OS X

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 07:12:34 UTC 2015

On 06/01/2015, at 11:49 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Tuesday January 06 2015 05:28:55 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>
>> As for "used more often" I mean why don't VirtualBox and other applications
>> that use Qt ship a Qt framework that they link to, but instead bundle Qt
>> libraries inside their .app? Just for the convenience of being able to do
>> VirtualBox.app -> Applications installations instead of a wizard type that
>> puts the framework in place?
>
> Yes (but VirtualBox does come in an installer). It also means that you can remove the application easier, and that you can move it around after the initial "install". Mac OS has always allowed you to do that, and change the disk name as well.
> From that particular point of view (and keeping your folders tidy, uncluttered) frameworks and app bundles do really work well.
>
> NB: it's also possible to build frameworks in such a way that you can put them in any of a number of standard locations, and they'll be found by the dynamic loader. So you could test one in ~/Library/Frameworks, and then simply move it to /Library/Frameworks when it's ready for system-wide deployment.

FWIW I found the only contents of /usr/local in my machine are /usr/local/Qt/... :-)
Further down the tree there are only symlinks.

Tara:/kdedev/kde4m/kdesrc/kde/kde-runtime>ll /usr/local/Qt/4.8.1-macosx105/lib
total 80
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  61  4 Apr  2013 QtCore.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtCore.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  68 19 Apr  2014 QtDeclarative.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtDeclarative.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  60  4 Apr  2013 QtGui.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtGui.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  64  4 Apr  2013 QtNetwork.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtNetwork.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  63  4 Apr  2013 QtScript.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtScript.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  60  4 Apr  2013 QtSql.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtSql.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  60  4 Apr  2013 QtSvg.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  63  4 Apr  2013 QtWebKit.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  60  4 Apr  2013 QtXml.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtXml.framework
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff  68  4 Apr  2013 QtXmlPatterns.framework@ -> /Library/Application Support/DivX/Frameworks/QtXmlPatterns.framework

I used to have DivX installed… :-(  But I wonder what would happen if we left some
links to MacPorts' Frameworks installation of Qt in /usr/local?  Would things like DivX
find them?  Could we share a single copy of MacPorts' Qt this way?

Cheers, Ian W.