[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:24:39 UTC 2015

On Tuesday January 06 2015 05:49:51 Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> QtNetworkVBox.framework and QtOpenGLVBox.framework within it. At my last
> job (STI years ago) we originally statically linked to Qt but after a while
> we opted to dynamically link to it, ship our slightly patched copy of Qt
> next to our application, changed our binaries to .bin files (same thing,
> just renamed) and made the executable a script that set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> where we shipped our Qt and execute the .bin. I wonder if VirtualBox is
> doing something similar. Though looking inside these .framework files
> there's no .dylib, just resources, so maybe they are only shipping these to
> hold the resources and are statically linking with Qt?

You'll see VirtualBox.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCoreVBox.framework/QtCoreVBox -> Versions/4/QtCoreVBox*

The true payload of a framework is never a .dylib file, even though it's the same thing.

If you do `otool -L  /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/MacOS/*` you'll see that there's a number of executables inside that helper appbundle that do link to the embedded Qt frameworks.