[KDE/Mac] Getting started on Mac OS X

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 21:02:23 UTC 2015

Hey all,

As I'm a bit of a noob on OS X I thought I'd ask a few questions to get my
head around how things typically work on this platform.

1. What is an OS X Framework? I probably should google and see what I can
find, but thought I'd ask here too. If it's akin to a shared library on
linux why aren't they used more often?
2. Are there any licensing issues to keep in mind regarding Qt on this
platform? Is the L(GPL) version of Qt usable both when dynamically and
statically linking or only one or the other (I am not trying to spread fud
here, I honestly don't know)?
3. How does one typically build Qt on this platform? When I do it here with
qt5 cloned from kde:qt5 using branch 5.4 and a separate qt5build folder
where I run ../qt5/configure -qpa cocoa and such the resulting output
doesn't show Cocoa as a QPA it is building. Also it doesn't seem to build
(nor does configure --help show any options to enable) QtScript to build,
which is required for some frameworks.

I guess that's all for now.

thanks,
Jeremy