[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

"Marko Käning" mk-lists at email.de
Mon Jan 5 17:06:14 UTC 2015

Hi David,

there has been quite some activity here on the list in the last while...
Not having taking part in discussions for so long makes it hard to respond
sensibly. :)

> > I think we should also implement, in the patch, support for *all* XDG-type
> > directories AND the corresponding XDG_* environment variables,
> > including XDG_*_HOME directories, in either ::standardLocations()
> > or ::writableLocation().
>
> OK. You can take that code from qstandardpaths_unix.cpp ;-)
>
> I could update my patch, but I'm coding blind, so it would be much better if
> someone with a Qt build from sources (git) on OS X could finish the patch and
> then submit it to gerrit.

I had done all that earlier in [1], before Jeremy and I had discussed with Thiago.

> OK. Then there's a short term option which is to finish the QStandardPaths
> patch and apply it only the MacPorts build, until it's proven to work and can
> then be submitted to Qt upstream.

In [2] I had stripped it down to only XDG_DATA_DIRS, because that's what we needed
for the CI system.

This allows the CI system to run its tests fine and with the run.sh [3] script
I can also run KF5 apps on the console successfully, which does set XDG_DATA_DIRS
as required. (I am sorry, if this is redundant.)

> I think you misunderstood my question, which I'll rephrase:
> for a MacPorts user, is it possible to install Qt into /opt/local and install
> an app (still via MacPorts) into /opt/myapp or, say, $HOME/myapp ?

Yes, that is possible and is done so. As discussed earlier MacPorts usually installs
the KDE executable app packages into /Applications/MacPorts/KDE/ ...

> (and if so, does it all work automatically without setting env vars?)
> (the question is about MacPorts in general, not KDE specific)

... without the need for env vars.

Jeremy has written earlier on this thread how it works on his kdesrc-build install.

Well, and as Jeremy pointed out, we can easily reintroduce those bits from the
Unix code which deal with XDG_CONFIG_DIRS.

[1] https://3c.web.de/mail/client/dereferrer?redirectUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fquickgit.kde.org%2F%3Fp%3Dclones%252Fwebsites%252Fbuild-kde-org%252Fkaning%252Fmp-osx-ci.git%26a%3Dblob%26h%3De3dd52cc903f2f2e86b9139b74c138ef19dc0cf1%26hb%3D15f21bf549e5483d06602d6fe6b68dabb512eb88%26f%3Dpatches%252Fqt5%252Fkf5-qt5%252Fpatch-qstandardpaths_mac.cpp.diff

[2] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fwebsites%2Fbuild-kde-org%2Fkaning%2Fmp-osx-ci.git&a=commitdiff&h=a99f9c7ec101d7bb8832aeef9594cc92814f1128

[3] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fwebsites%2Fbuild-kde-org%2Fkaning%2Fmp-osx-ci.git&a=blob&h=62737b5844a8adb6e61d49fb9c7bf8f4c985410a&hb=a99f9c7ec101d7bb8832aeef9594cc92814f1128&f=run.sh