[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 13:11:58 UTC 2015

David,

Those are all good points, I'd forgotten about the aspect of other
applications using frameworks libraries. Your mail made me remember
something that Thiago suggested on irc a couple of weeks ago that may help
also. His idea is using the library/framework's disk location (if that can
be determined at runtime) to get a relative path for other xdg-like
locations. For example if an application that is using sonnet which is in
/opt/local/lib/libKF5SonnetCore.5.dylib is loaded in an application
QStandardPaths could add /opt/local/share to it's GenericDataLocation and
such. As I type this I'm not sure how that would work technically though. I
guess sonnet (and all frameworks that utilize QSP to find their data)
itself would need some code that it called to add such a path to
QStandardPaths somehow right? This solution could be used to get the
"default" path instead of hard coding /opt/local and has the advantage that
it would work when using kdesrc-build which defaults to install into
/usr/local like linux and would also work for any MacPorts install path. It
would also work for any Qt application that uses any frameworks, as long as
the installers for those applications put the frameworks' data files
relative to the frameworks themselves. We could still do the XDG_DATA_DIRS
and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS parsing also for the CI system, but it may not be
needed there either since test applications linking to other libraries
would also get those paths relative to the libraries themselves.

Ok, after a minute of thought it could be implemented like this:
QStandardPaths::addRelativePaths(const QString &path); where path is the
path to a library. Relative paths to this path (converted into absolute
paths) would be added to QStandardPaths values at run time. Then each
framework that uses QSP to find data files could in any constructor do
QStandardPaths::addRelativePaths(mypath); once and be done, right?

More food for thought.

BR,
Jeremy