[KDE/Mac] OS X observations

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Jan 3 10:00:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Saturday January 03 2015 12:26:36 Ian Wadham wrote:
>
>> Maybe there is some problem in the handling of the *ui.rc files in KXmlGui* classes on OS X… :-(
>
> Let's hope not, it's an area I know nothing about.
>
> @calligra developers: how related are karbon and flow? Is the latter in any way a descendant (stripped down clone, whatever) of the former?

It's mostly the same thing, a different executable that loads a few
different plugins, but the canvas and everything is the same thing.

>> Or perhaps Calligra loses its way because it is being started by Apple OS X "open" and not via
>> *.desktop files (which are perhaps more complex than usual in Calligra).  Also, anything that goes
>
> No, this happens when I launch via the terminal too.

The problem is, I guess, that the wrong part gets loaded by
KoPluginLoader/KoDocumentEntry -- there's some special-case code for flow
there that checks the appname to make sure that even if flow and karbon
handle the same default mimetype, if the application is called flow, we
load the flow plugin.

>> via plugins, KParts or services could be affected by problems in kdeinit4, klauncher and kded4
>> on Apple OS X.  Do the debug messages in the log output give any clue?  Kdeinit4 and friends
>> are quite verbose if you turn them on in the KDebugDialog app, as you know… :-)
>
> I'll have to check that. It was late when I rounded up my overview, and the following day I decided to rebuild from scratch only the "creative product set". No more confusion between Karbon and Flow, evidently, but the crash in Karbon remains.
>
>> Maybe Calligra is using its own crash handler, rather than the default handler in the KCrash class.
>> See http://api.kde.org/4.14-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/namespaceKCrash.html.  Look for stuff
>> like "setCrashHandler" in Calligra.
>
> Will do. I did verify that it uses the regular DrKonqi application, and there appears to be no difference in the arguments with which it gets called.

Only Krita on Windows uses breakpad, for the rest, it's KCrash.