[KDE/Mac] Kate's status on OSX?

Nicolas Bigaouette nbigaouette at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:54:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I miss KDE applications on my mac so would like to have them working,
specially Kate.

After some work I've been able to compile KF5 v5.6.0 and Kate
14.12.2 through homebrew using haraldf's tap[0].

After running Kate, I realized that some things are not working properly. I
would like to know if these things are supposed to work, even on OSX, and
that the problem is the (homebrew's) packaging or if it is something
missing from Kate.

The issues I have are:
1) There is no configuration panel. I thus cannot change any settings;
2) There is no icons in the toolbar;
3) There is no syntax highlighting;
4) Output shows an issue with dbus kglobalaccel.service.

Here's the output of when I run it:
/Applications/KDE/kate.app/Contents/MacOS/kate
kf5.kcoreaddons.kdirwatch: fsWatcher->addPath
"/Users/nicolas/Library/Application Support/kate/sessions"
Couldn't start kglobalaccel from org.kde.kglobalaccel.service:
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown", "The name
org.kde.kglobalaccel was not provided by any .service files")
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Oxygen)"
void QCocoaMenu::insertNative(QCocoaMenuItem *, QCocoaMenuItem *) Menu item
is already in a menu, remove it from the other menu first before inserting
void QCocoaMenu::insertNative(QCocoaMenuItem *, QCocoaMenuItem *) Menu item
is already in a menu, remove it from the other menu first before inserting
virtual void QCocoaMenu::removeMenuItem(QPlatformMenuItem *) Item to remove
does not belong to this menu
virtual void QCocoaMenu::removeMenuItem(QPlatformMenuItem *) Item to remove
does not belong to this menu
void QCocoaMenu::insertNative(QCocoaMenuItem *, QCocoaMenuItem *) Menu item
is already in a menu, remove it from the other menu first before inserting
void QCocoaMenu::insertNative(QCocoaMenuItem *, QCocoaMenuItem *) Menu item
is already in a menu, remove it from the other menu first before inserting
void QCocoaMenu::insertNative(QCocoaMenuItem *, QCocoaMenuItem *) Menu item
is already in a menu, remove it from the other menu first before inserting

Is there anything in this that can identify the problems?

Thanks!!

[0] https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5