[KDE/Mac] Help my confusion

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 02:55:43 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015, at 11:02 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Monday February 09 2015 09:37:35 Ian Wadham wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
>> I have not been following this discussion, nor, I must confess, do I understand
>> all of it.  However, how come compiling kdelibs (4) works for me?  I have about
>> the same Macbook setup as Jeremy (Lion, 4-core, 64-bit) and Xcode 4.6.1 vs.
>> Jeremy's 4.6.3 (for details see my earlier post on this thread).
>>
>> The first 20 or 30 lines of kurlcompletion.cpp seem to be essentially the same
>> in KDE 4, but I have never had any trouble compiling the "environ" bits.
>>

> That's because they're also very naughty bits ;)

I did not see any privates in the code…:-)

> (sorry, I had to make myself grin what's been going on on macports-dev this weekend)

Shameful.  But Jeremy H. got a pretty rough trot with his bug report, getting it closed
so many times and then being threatened with admin action for re-opening it.  That
was far worse than the language and allegations, IMHO.  We have to co-operate and
respect each other, otherwise FOSS development cannot work well.

I was surprised to discover the other day on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQuartz
that Jeremy H. is one of the XQuartz developers.  It makes me think that people on
FOSS mailing lists ought to have profiles or mini-resumés.  We know so little about
each other and then basic xenophobia and the assumption that the other party is
ignorant cut in.

> Seriously, I suppose something in the headers you include must be taking care of the issue for you. Maybe Qt4?

That did cross my mind.

BTW it's not "my" issue.  I am compiling bog-standard KDE 4 library code in a bog-standard
way and KUrlCompletion is not something I ever change --- or even look at… ;-)

@Jeremy (Whiting): Maybe you could check if something has been accidentally omitted
from the headers for KUrlCompletion between KDE4/Qt4 and Frameworks/Qt5.  There
might be a neater way to restore the build on OSX.

Cheers, Ian W.