[KDE/Mac] Regarding building QML modules

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Feb 4 08:42:04 UTC 2015

Hi Aleix,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I received this bug report [1], I guess this should be figured out. It
> suggests using add_library(MODULE) instead of add_library(SHARED) for
> QML modules, as they are not meant to be linked to.
>
> I think it makes sense, I would have done it like that since the
> beginning if it wasn't because Qt requires a lib* prefix to the QML
> plugins (only on linux?).

The missing lib prefix for MODULE targets is something that kde's cmake
stuff has enforced. Stock CMake projects using MODULE targets end up with
libfoo.so. The only difference between MODULE and SHARED is that MODULE
targets get no SONAME and hence no libfoo.so.x.y.z symlinks.

I believe there's no particular reason (but can't recall 100% from the KDE4
porting times) why the lib prefix is dropped for kde plugins, except that
the existing plugin-loading-code in kdelibs back then required foo.so for
plugins.

Andreas