[KDE/Mac] Aligning the sockets in kdeinit5 and friends on OS X

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:22:58 UTC 2015

On Tuesday February 03 2015 22:11:46 Ian Wadham wrote:

> > I agree, but don't stress yourself too much. That socket file is hidden somewhere deep where most people don't even see it (under $TMPDIR), and where it gets deleted at each reboot if not each login (never checked that, gee... :)).
>
> The Frameworks code in init.cpp, wrapper.cpp and kcrash.cpp says it goes in
> QStandardPaths::writableLocation(QStandardPaths::RuntimeLocation).  The Qt
> doco says that evaluates to ~/Library/Application\ Support on OSX and
> /run/user/<USER> (writable?) on Linux.  I hope that will be OK, safe and reliable…
>
> That location has directories-only on my OS X system, one per app or org.

Ow, autant pour moi ...

Evidently we cannot use the standard way of using ~/Library/Application\ Support/, i.e. an application specific directory under that location.
You could however use something like ~/Library/AppSupport/KF5/ksocket ; KDE4 uses $TMPDIR/ksocket-$USER (which is doubly user-specific: $TMPDIR is that already). /methinks that there's no need to repeat the socket bit in the filename if it's already in the path.