[KDE/Mac] systemsettings, kde-cli-tools and other plasma components on non-Plasma/non-X11 platforms

mk-lists at mailbox.org mk-lists at mailbox.org
Thu Dec 24 10:43:57 UTC 2015

Hi Ian and all others interested in DrK,

> On December 24, 2015 at 3:11 AM Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, this is a good initiative. René, and a necessary one.  Such complex
> considerations cannot be dealt with easily in a short exchange of
> emails, IMHO.

+1 !!! :-)

> Sebastian Kügler wrote on this thread, in reply to you:
>     "A general assumption is that stuff in kde/workspace either isn't
> suitable or
>      really useful on OS X, or that it should move elsewhere (at that
> point, it may
>      make sense to put it into or make it a Framework). You name a few
> candidates."

Well, as René already commented on: There are indeed quite a few settings
for all kinds
of things! One good example is the configuration of the widget style which
affects KDE4
apps on OSX severely - see subsection "Install kde4-workspace and qtcurve"
in our wiki
pages dedicated to KDE issues on MacPorts [1].

> Marko was also protesting about the move, I remember.

Yes, indeed, I did protest back then, but it stayed unheard.

So, I'll do it again, herewith:

     Let's move DrK into a KF5 framework, so that even the
     simplest KF5 apps can make use of its functionality!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!!!!

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDE#Installkde4-workspaceandqtcurve