[KDE/Mac] Review Request 120363: proposal to use the NOGUI switch in CMake files to set the default value for GUIenabled

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Sep 26 08:41:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2014 22:32:35 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> Ah, apparently Thiago missed the multiple recent reminders of the fact that
>> we OS X users are going to be "stuck" in/with KDE4 for a tad longer than
>> the average Linux user (Debian apart, maybe? ;)) Anyway, I guess I'm going
>> to have to look again at how exactly `GUIenabled=false` leads to the
>> qt_menu.nib not being loaded in Qt ...
>
> Note that you're applying the change to X11 too and that will have an impact,
> but limited lifetime. If the problem is Mac only, then maybe apply the
> solution to Mac only too.

Applying a solution to a single OS is inherently wrong, and is what
has made building KDE 4 on OSX/Windows so difficult.
Patches should *always* be upstreamed, especially when we are
essentially the distributor (in essence we are carrying forks of our
own projects due to these patches).

> And still it needs to be studied for Qt5, unless the plan is to never
> transition to Qt 5 (which means KDE-on-Mac will stop compiling within 2
> years).

That will be addressed I suspect - I don't see why we can't improve
things now for the applications we do ship.

> --
>    Software Architect - Intel Open Source Technology Center
>       PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
>       E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Regards,
Ben