[KDE/Mac] Fwd: Article: Slackware Developer Not Happy With KDE5 Development

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Tue Oct 28 11:55:43 UTC 2014

Am Dienstag, 28. Oktober 2014, 11.18:45 schrieb René J.V. Bertin:

Morning René

> On Tuesday October 28 2014 09:54:49 Mario Fux wrote:
> > On the other hand I think it makes sense that KDevelop is one of the
> > first to go to Qt5 and KF5 to provide a platform to develop software
> > with these new libraries.
>
> You're probably right, though I don't see how it couldn't do that while
> still being KDE4-based itself.

I see it. They lack (wo)man power. They need to concentrate and focus.

> The age-old chicken-and-egg question.
> Which, btw, has a perfect biological answer IMHO: the egg was first because
> that 1st "chicken" bird that produced a "chicken" egg came out of one
> (which was produced by parents that cross-bred to produce the chicken bird
> variety) ;)

Makes sense ;-).

> > on Windows and Mac and almost everywhere. People work on what they use
> > themselves, mostly in the free software world, it's a bit different in
> > the corporate work.
>
> Yup, very true, at least for myself. Which is part of why I won't be doing
> substantial work on KF5 until it becomes the environment I can do the rest
> of my work in. Unless I start getting paid to do so ;)

Would be nice to have some paid KDE Mac developers. Are you searching
actively?

> > software and it's new for KDE core developer that there is a KDE software
> > on Mac movement so it needs time to work best together. But I think
> > you're on a great path.
>
> Yes. We on our end do tend to make the apparently erroneous assumption that
> KDE chose to use Qt in order to be cross-platform ...

Might be. But I'd prefer to change "on our end" to "in our group". You're not
at one end of KDE. You're part of KDE. A relatively new and young one but
important one nonetheless.

> > Oh and go and take a look what masses of (KDE) code landed in Qt5. We
> > upstreamed so much.
>
> I know, but once again that was done without feedback from platforms other
> than Qt/X11 on Linux.

That's simple to answer as well. If there are no Win oder Mac developers in
KDE at a certain time they can't give feedback. That changes now and Marko
already blocked a KF5 release from the Mac side (there, real feedback from
real people ;-) and you're and other here are actively working on KDE code and
discussing stuff.

> Not that I have any specific examples at hand right
> now, but it's an impression I've been getting. Oh, there's the thing with
> menu items (actions) being rearranged across menus through text-based
> heuristics (their term) by Qt, of course.

Nice, more progress.

Thx
Mario