[KDE/Mac] Native file dialogs (was: What is happening to the KDE/OSX themes?)

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 07:18:35 UTC 2014

Hi René,

On 24/10/2014, at 11:13 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday October 24 2014 17:57:41 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Which .rc file exactly?  AFAIK, the only "native" option is in kdeglobalrc.
>> I do not know of any apps that have an option to override that in their own
>> Settings dialog.
>
> From what I've seen, you can add such a section to any rc file. I guess that the KConfig system is hierarchical, overriding more global preference settings with more specific settings.

I have my doubts about that.  AFAIK that mainly applies to actions and keyboard
settings in <appname>ui.rc and with the Configure Shortcuts… and Configure
Toolbars… entries in the Settings menu to implement the hierarchy, not to
mention KXmlGuiWindow and KMainWindow.

> I have no time right now to have an in-depth look to your analysis - it looks good but what exactly does it tell us for the patch?
> By all means, soldier on ... or should I say keep going walkabout in that not-exactly-bush-but-more-rainforest sea of code? ;)

What does it tell us about the patch?  IMHO it is a little hackish and rather incomplete.

I have since found out what the exec() is for.  It was developed for Windows and
enabled (by the patch) for OS X.  It lets KFileDialog have a second bite at the cherry
if it has been sent down a non-native path in the static calls or if it is being used by
a home-grown KFileDialog object in an app or library.

Also, it seems the implementation of native-mode in the main code is incomplete.

Regarding the "kfiledialog:///" construct for the start-directory, it is supposed to remember
the last-used directory.  Native-mode has code to stash it away after a save, but no
code to retrieve it and open the last-used directory during a file-open.

I have developed a patch that always gives me a native dialog, but is currently limited
to local files.  Then again, some apps seem to limit themselves to local files, even if
they are using KUrl internally.

I think I am getting there…

Cheers, Ian W.