[KDE/Mac] Dr Konqi should work on Apple OS X now

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 22:22:26 UTC 2014

On 11/10/2014, at 9:02 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Saturday October 11 2014 20:10:17 Ian Wadham wrote:
> Evening Ian,
>

>> "Going walkabout", but you can't really do that in a car.
>
> Flintstone car?
>

>> Yeah, finish it, there's no beard...
>> https://dot.kde.org/2014/06/03/ian-wadham-venerable-kde-programmer
>> Scroll to the end for a pic.
>
> Okidoki. I actually read through to the end. Nice interview, and how typical the answer to the Stallman or Torvalds question :)

Thanks, René… :-)

> I was born just too late to ride on the last waves of that time when almost anything
> was possible in research (and sadly with parents who didn't see the writing on the
> wall to prepare me for the new times). Dijkstra could have been among my
> "acquaintances" but my dad went from a position in the Utrecht "calculation centre"
> to a PhD and professorship in some rather serious mathematics (potential theory).

I got into it a few years before Dijkstra became famous. "Computer Science", in the
few universities that had such a department, was focussed on numerical methods.
Practical matters, such as programming style and O/S design, were not considered
"respectable" in many academic circles.  Dijkstra crystallised for me (and many others)
principles we had been struggling towards as we plugged away to produce early
operating systems, device drivers and real-time systems and grappled with complexity
and the problems of asynchronous programming...

> All that almost motivates me to pick up my own PhD thesis side-product, an
> environment for simulating 2D hypothetical animals, but that's such an old code-base
> (mostly K&R C) so solidly anchored in the assumption it'd always run under X11 (and
> didn't require a GUI, just an optional graphics output window) that I've never gotten to
> doing it.  Besides, it wouldn't be particularly clever to start developing a new KDE4
> application these days (says he to convince himself a bit more) :)

How about making it a pure-Qt app?  And if you do need anything from KDE, "borrow"
it from KF 5… :-)

>> unbelievable… and if you do get lost, you can drink your radiator water.  Then if you
>
> Not a reflex I would have, what with the additives in the cooling liquid stuff ... and I
> doubt it'll be anything different down under in Oz!

Well, we don't use anti-freeze much in Oz, but I guess modern cars would have other
additives that might not be good for the kidneys…

Cheers, Ian W.