[KDE/Mac] General question regarding running +debug variants

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sun Oct 5 15:54:59 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

regarding running any KDE application in their debug variant I fear that it is not
a good idea to start any of them using their app icons...

Some might only *seem* to work properly, but if I start e.g. kbuildsycoca4 on the
console I see that I do need to set export "DYLD_IMAGE_SUFFIX=_debug” to make it
run properly.

KDevelop for instance crashes right at the start, if I use its dock icon.
A dock-icon-started Konqueror does crash when I close the app.
Kompare shows an empty dialog and stays dysfunctional.

But Cantor, Kig, KReversi, Kigo, Kate, Kcalc, Palapeli, Konsole, Konversation do
NOT crash or even seem to work more or less normally when started via their icon.

Don’t know how to get this set up in a better way.

Would we have to manipulate the plist file in every app package to ensure that
“DYLD_IMAGE_SUFFIX” is set correctly?

And now that I have wondered whether this wasn’t actually discussed at some point
I’ve found René's old thread “issues after installed qt4-mac+debug” [2]...

Well, I wonder how to proceed regarding these debug variants.

[1] http://commits.kde.org/macports-kde/940a779974076e2866b125c2ff86da9894e75f66
[2] https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2014-July/035962.html