[KDE/Mac] kdesrc-build

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Tue Nov 25 22:08:38 UTC 2014

Hi Jeremy,

as we’ve had such a nice discussion on #KDE-MAC this evening, I don’t need to write much more now. :)

On 25 Nov 2014, at 22:21 , Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting at kde.org> wrote:
> 2. What are the major barriers, technical and/or organizational, that prevent newcomers from getting,
> building, and contributing fixes to kde on mac ?

Good question. I think one important factor is that there aren’t many KDE devs on the OSX platform.
Also, remember, the KDE-MAC ML is mainly driven by us folks from MacPorts.
It would be great to have more feedback from the Homebrew guys here.

> I think I remember a link to a wiki of technical issues,

This one it is: [1]! :)

> but I'm also interested in organizational issues. If we can solve some/most of these we could get
> many more hands helping with this work.

Well, see above! :)
We definitely need more real KDE developers (like Ian and René) on our team!!!

> P.S. My main reason for initially setting up a mac vm is to build/run applications and fix issues on
> this platform that don't appear on other platforms. CI is interesting to me, but not as much as
> individual developers building, running, and bugfixing on this platform.

As I said, I’d be happy to receive support for cleaning up my QStandardPaths patch for the OSX/CI
system [2].

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems

[2] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fwebsites%2Fbuild-kde-org%2Fkaning%2Fmp-osx-ci.git&a=blob&h=e0b488e55a279023c1750543cb1daf8b40980321&hb=41fa7caf1af41a74d7cfd09dbb480d0bd70dce79&f=patches%2Fqt5%2Fkf5-qt5%2Fpatch-qstandardpaths_mac.cpp.diff