[KDE/Mac] kdesrc-build

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Nov 25 21:21:54 UTC 2014

Hey guys,

I appreciate the effort that has gone into getting kde stuff in mac ports
and so on. I spent a bit of time today on #kde-mac on irc discussing with
Marko about the mac setup and how to build qt5/kf5 based applications on a
mac vm I finally got to work here (until I can at some time get a real mac)
to test some applications I maintain in kde (and a few frameworks
themselves). I was originally naive and from previous mails here thought I
could use kdesrc-build as is to build on mac since it's unix-based. From
reading
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/osx-patches/repository/revisions/master/entry/KDEMacPortsTools/README_FIRST
it seems it's not that straightforward. Also I finally got xcode to
download and install on the mavericks vm (took a long time here for some
reason) and tried with MacPorts versions of cmake and git to run
kdesrc-build myself, but it complained that it couldn't create
/home/jeremywhiting which already exists, so that confuses me too. Anyway
here are my main questions after all that rambling:

1. Can we improve kdesrc-build itself or it's include files to get it to
build on mac without these additional steps? (I was thinking maybe another
include file within kdesrc-build's sources like kf5-applications-include or
whatnot to set additional mac only options)
2. What are the major barriers, technical and/or organizational, that
prevent newcomers from getting, building, and contributing fixes to kde on
mac ? I think I remember a link to a wiki of technical issues, but I'm also
interested in organizational issues. If we can solve some/most of these we
could get many more hands helping with this work.

thanks,
Jeremy

P.S. My main reason for initially setting up a mac vm is to build/run
applications and fix issues on this platform that don't appear on other
platforms. CI is interesting to me, but not as much as individual
developers building, running, and bugfixing on this platform.