[KDE/Mac] Fixes for Filelight utility and LSkat game

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat May 10 02:56:18 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 10/05/2014, at 10:20 AM, mk-lists at email.de wrote:
> On 09 May 2014, at 19:31 , Nicolas Pavillon <nicos at macports.org> wrote:
>>> Note that I have a MacPorts installation that I use for everyday activity
>>> so I do not want to risk messing that up.
>>
>> If you don’t need them simultaneously you could keep the two installation around,
>> and use activate/deactivate commands to have the one you want at a given time.
>> For simultaneous use, having two separate Macports tree may also be possible,
>> but it is signing for trouble in my experience.
> Oh yes… Both opportunities aren’t great!
> For endeavours like that it’s better to have a KDE-build on a virtual machine, or on another real machine.
> Otherwise you’ll ask for trouble, since a painless deactivation and activation might be hard to achieve due to dependencies on a lot of other ports.
> And on top of all that all your config files from one KDE version would be interfering with those of the other, since they get stored in ~/Library/Preferences/KDE/...

Not to mention user-data.  No way am I going to lose that partly finished
10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle I have been "testing" with for weeks … :-)

But this is where "secret KDE business" comes in.  I can set $KDEHOME
automatically in each of my testing environments and that is where my
config and personal data will go.

Also, I am expecting good binary and source compatibility between the
(mature) KDE 4.12 and 4.13 libraries, so I am hoping the apps I will be
testing can link to either library.

Cheers, Ian W.