[KDE/Mac] Avoiding baloo trouble

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu May 8 06:42:48 UTC 2014

Hi Marko and Nicolas,

On 02/05/2014, at 3:48 AM, mk-lists at email.de wrote:
Nicolas wrote:, also on 2/5/2014:
>> It is possible to build KDE without it, which is not an option with nepomuk.
> oh, is that so?
> From what I read on KDE-DEVEL it could be that some applications won’t work properly or complain during build time if baloo isn’t enabled.

Have either of you succeeded in building baloo on Apple OS X yet?
I have been struggling with it for the best part of a week.  It keeps
failing because it cannot find malloc_trim() on Apple OS X.  It is a
GNU extension they say.  See https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/117187/ …

I adapted the patch given in that review to the KDE/4.13 branch and
eventually got baloo and baloo-widgets to build.  The adaptation was a
bit tricky because the code for baloo is changing all the time and the patch
was for the master branch code, which is quite different.

Re building without baloo, I cannot see ANYWHERE in the CMake files
where that option can be taken.  FWIW I cannot see how baloo gets built
AT ALL.  The source code is in subdirectories of kdelibs, but I cannot see
any CMake command for add_subdirectory or anything like that which
triggers the build.  Yet it does get built, after kdelibs and a few later
prerequisites have been built.  Secret KDE business? … ;-)

>> This should make it possible to provide it as a variant with Macports, so that users could
>> have it if desired, but without imposing it or requiring active changes by users who don’t
>> want it around.
> Well, if that’s possible great. I think baloo should be opt-in-able for those who want it, but per default be set to off.
> Do you agree?

ATM it seems kdepimlibs and the PIM applications depend on baloo, also
Gwenview and some KDE extragear stuff: milou and plasma-mediacenter.
And you cannot build kdelibs without baloo.  I guess that list will grow.

Cheers, Ian W.