[KDE/Mac] KDE 4.13 on MacPorts

Nicolas Pavillon nicos at macports.org
Sun Jun 15 14:53:32 UTC 2014

Hello,

I made the test of upgrading locally of ports to KDE 4.13.2, and apart from some hiccups, everything went ok. Several patches could also be suppressed as they were committed upstream.

Concerning baloo, the only port I could see that requires it is kdepim4. But on the other hand, about the concerns of resource use, it seems that baloo will not run unless a daemon is set (there is a function balooctl to start the file indexing), so that even installing it would imply CPU use unless it is enabled. In this context, it may be better to install it right away to avoid missing dependencies.

I am also starting to consider testing to build without nepomuk, as most parts of KDE seems to have been ported by now (http://community.kde.org/index.php?title=Baloo/NepomukPort).

Cheers,

Nicolas