[KDE/Mac] Scripts and config files for KDE devel on OS X

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 08:15:02 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I had a look at http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Mac_OS_X/MacPorts
which is linked to by https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems.  I thought of updating
it, but it is a mess and is on a chain of links that have been deleted by KDE sysadmin.

Instead, I spent some time refining and simplifying the methods of building KDE from
source on OS X and using it to develop, debug and test KDE apps, libraries and utilities,
in particular to help me track down and fix some of the problems with KDE on OS X.

Attached is a folder of scripts and config files to use as a starting point for such work.
The README file should tell you most of what you need to know and can act as a
nucleus for a future web page.

The folder is based around kdesrc-build, which is a utility used by many KDE developers
to build Qt and KDE from the latest git repositories, in the correct order and using the latest
dependencies [1].  It even has an option to use Qt 5 and KDE's KF 5, though I have not
tried that myself.  Nor do I build Qt 4 nor the Nepomuk chain myself: I can link these from
/opt/local, courtesy of MacPorts.

The basic idea is to set aside a directory for KDE development and testing.  You can
use $HOME, but I prefer to use a "/kdedev" directory I have set up.  You can install
kdesrc-build in there (it is a set of Perl scripts and data files, using Perl 5.12 or later).

Then you can have a sub-directory for each KDE environment you wish to build, in
addition to the one in MacPorts (/opt/local).  I currently have sub-dirs "kde4.13" and
"games" (master branch, but using Qt 4 and KDE 4.12 from MacPorts).

Because KDE and Qt recognise environment variables that point to libraries and
utilities and data areas belonging to the user, such as config files, application data
and caches, it is possible to set up an independent Shell environment for each
version or subset of KDE you build and install.

So, when all the bits of the attached are configured and installed, you just need
to "cd" to somewhere in your test area and the required Shell environment will
be automatically set up.

Enjoy!

All the best, Ian W.

P.S. The bad news is that KDE will not compile and build out-of-the-box on OS X,
as you well know.  You need at least to apply the various MacPorts patches and
maybe one or two others I have made myself.

[1]
http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/
http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/documentation/index.html