[KDE/Mac] chattyness & log pollution

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 23:26:36 UTC 2014

On Aug 01, 2014, at 00:37, Ian Wadham wrote:

> Have you tried using kdebugdialog.app (in MacPorts/KDE4 apps)?

Yes, I saw the thingy to turn off all debug output, and that does reduce the chatter, without eliminating it entirely.

> work if the program is using "fprintf(stderr, …)" or "qDebug() << etc.".

That's what I feared. It's a bit strange that output redirection in a wrapper shell doesn't work, don't you think? Maybe I ought to try a binary wrapper - the issue goes a bit beyond KDE as far as I'm concerned.

> FWIW, if you are trying to diagnose KDE portability bugs, I find the Console
> log output is often more use than a crash backtrace.

Yes, but for that kind of work I prefer to launch the app from a terminal, possibly with all kdebug options on. OTOH, when for instance I *use* kdevelop or kdenlive, I'd prefer not to get tons of output that's of no interest whatsoever in my system logs. On Linux those usually go into ~/.xsession-errors (which can grow to scaring proportions) although it's possible to tweak things to let it all go down the drain.