[KDE/Mac] making applications "launch in the foreground"

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 03:13:08 UTC 2014

Hello guys,

I am back again after a horrible cold.  I could not think straight
for several days.

On 06/07/2014, at 6:28 AM, Marko Käning wrote:
> On 05 Jul 2014, at 22:10 , René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course, same for me. Though I'd add that the situation here is more complex: the kwallet dialog was there first, and then other windows come to cover it.
>
> Well, that’s where I am not sure! I often had the impression that the dialog should have been visible.
> I usually have 6 virtual screens and kwallet should come up at the one where KDE starts with (being virtual desktop #1), but it fails to make itself visible enough for me. :/

I have never been a great user of KWallet, but my memory of it
is that it is not like a normal application, with a Main Window,
Menus, etc.  Normally it tries to stay invisible, except for an icon
in the systray to show that it has been used (bottom right of a
Plasma screen).  The Apple equivalent would be an icon at the
top right, from which you could bring up a dialog to add or change
passwords, etc.

See details and screenshots in the KWallet Handbook:
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeutils/kwalletmanager/index.html

Maybe we could make KWalletManager into an Apple OS X app,
but I think the suggestion by René in the 3 July thread, "[KDE/Mac]
Interfacing kwallet and OS X's keychain", to divert KWallet actions
into OS X Keychain somehow would be the ideal to aim for.

Re KWallet, I had an interesting crash yesterday.  It shed some
valuable light on a variety of crashes which have been occurring
in Palapeli (jigsaw puzzles) for a long time.

While I was trying to record the details on bugs.kde.org, my newly
fixed version of Dr Konqi failed at the point where it had to send the
completed bug report to BKO.  It could not log in, it said, even though
I had supplied login details earlier and am persistently logged in with
a cookie anyway.  KWallet was involved in this failure somehow.

Fortunately Dr K has an option to save the report on your desktop
and I also saved some stderr output.  So I will be investigating both
failures, Palapeli and DrKonqi/KWallet, later…

All the best for now, Ian W.