[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 04:16:45 UTC 2014

Hi René,

On 15/12/2014, at 8:51 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Monday December 15 2014 09:32:48 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Hi David and KDE-Mac guys,
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> Didn't you already post this, or at least a good chunk of it?

No, but I did cover some of the points before.  This time I thought I would
reply specifically to the points raised by David a few months ago.

>> they should probably be something like MP_*.  However, environment variables
>> are a threatened species on many versions of OS X supported by MacPorts and
>> are extinct (i.e. ignored) on the most recent versions.  "Extinct" means there is no
>> Apple-approved way to introduce an environment variable into an app started by
>> the GUI facilities on the desktop in recent versions of OS X.
>
> If so, how does XQuartz manage? That's conceived to be auto-started when the user launches an X11 application, including through the Finder, no?
> And whether Apple condones it or not, that requires "interprocess communication" through at least 1 environment variable …

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/603785/environment-variables-in-mac-os-x/4567308#4567308
lists the external possibilities.  Inside an app I guess you can do setenv() if you want.  Also maybe
X11 apps have a method like those to be found in KDE, where a utility looks to see if another utility
is already running and, if it is not, starts it.  Kdeinit4, klauncher4 and kded4 do that sort of thing.

Cheers, Ian W.