[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Wed Dec 10 18:23:49 UTC 2014

My previous popst has been fairly long and (as it turned out) not fully correct:

On 10 Dec 2014, at 18:57 , Marko Käning <mk-lists at email.de> wrote:
>   GenericCacheLocation: "Caches" */Users/marko/Library/Caches* /Library/Caches
>   GenericConfigLocation: "Preferences" */Users/marko/Library/Preferences* /etc/xdg /Library/Application Support
> .
> .
> .
> ---
>
> Note that all OSX-specifc standard paths like "/Library/Application Support” and “~/Library/Application Support” are correctly set.

Of course "/Library/Application Support” isn’t correct for (Generic)ConfigLocation, only for (Generic)DataLocation, but!

> Generic(Config|Cache)Location is still fine regarding the non-writable path “/Library/Caches”. Same for CacheLocation.
> :)

This was also a misleading line, as ConfigLocation has nothing to do with Caches. ;-/
(But at least the patch worked fine there.)

> But, note, that GenericDataLocation is now missing the non-writable path “/Library/Application Support” in this case!!! :(
> That obviously slipped my attention, but is no problem on the OSX/CI system, as all the data are retrieved from
> the individual install roots of the KF5 frameworks and apps. But I need to fix it.

For now I assume that if the user decides to use XDG env vars this should give the opportunity to *override* the standard generic paths completely (one can always include the standard paths in the XDG vars again, if necessary).

Am creating a new QSP patch.

Marko :-{